Friday 21 June 2013

Festival food - Ryan Chong's pizza success

A music festival is probably the only place you'd be nonchalent about being covered in a suspiciously warm liquid thrown from somewhere behind you or that you'd pay £8 for a tiny little burger.

Last week I ventured to the Isle of Wight Festival to see my favourite band, The Killers. Anyone that knows me is aware of the ridiculous levels of love I have for the four boys from Las Vegas and I could not pass up the opportunity to see them so locally, even if the rest of the line up featured Bloc Party and The Maccabees.

In the past I've visited V twice and also Hyde Park for Hard Rock Calling but I've never camped and I never would, not my idea of fun. Anyway, the 'stringent' checks enforced by festival security are laughable however it is suggested that you don't bring any food or drink in with you, they say it's so you can't use it as a weapon but we all know it's so they can rip you off charging £2 for a warm bottle of Coke.

Tiny, too expensive but must try
Arriving at the food court I saw a stand  selling ostrich burgers and decided the unusual meat justified the £7.50 price tag. The meat was greasy but lean and tasted surprisingly like beef, I'd recommend trying it but it's definitely not going to turn a vegetarian back to the dark side.

This post is really about Ryan Chong. If you're a fan of the Great British Bake Off you might recognise Ryan, he featured on the show just last year.

Shuffling around the festival site around 5pm we were predictably hungry for something a little more substantial than the tiny ostrich burger we had had for lunch (between us!). I spotted Ryan's stylish pizza stand out the corner of my eye and was shocked that the prices (between £7 and £8) were for an entire pizza and not just a slice or two. As is standard I hovered around those who were already eating their treats and was suitably impressed by the fresh looking (and large) pizzas they were eating.
My margherita, so delicious!

Mike purchased Ryan's signature brie with caramelised onion marmalade pizza whereas I opted for the safe margherita. Service was quick and efficent and when the pizzas arrived I was so happy, the pizzas looked like they'd be more at home in an Italian pizzeria than a muddy field on the Isle of Wight! Just take a look at the pictures, so fresh and tasty!

Mike tucking in!
I decided to contact Ryan to see if he was going to be making an appearance at any other festivals or public events this year and if you're attending Glasto, the Bristol balloon festival, Secret Garden Party or Carfest South then keep your eyes peeled, I can't recommend him enough!

The flavours are even more exciting than Domino's new Carolina, including chicken liver parfait and grapes with Marsala jelly, as well as Kimchi and Pepperoni pizza.

As well as pizzas Ryan also offers Mediterranean chicken wraps as well as spicy lamb wraps using local Mendip organic meats.

If you've ever eaten at a festival you will know what a great find this is, no more £8 part cooked, meat free Noodle bar for me!


No comments:

Post a Comment